Ahhh, I have internet. And it's just as fabulous as I remembered. So let's dive right in, it's been a while, no?
1. I am addicted to this netti pot type squeeze bottle that I got. You know how those people get addicted to Afrin nose spray? Well, I can now see why. I got sick pretty much the second I stepped off the plane. Horrible cold and cough and this intense, unbearable pressure in my sinuses and ears. I used to be a sudafed addict, but out of nowhere, when I was pregnant with Warren, I think, I developed this horrible sensitivity to it. It makes me all jumpy and my heart race and I want to claw my skin off and then crawl out of it...not good. So I got this sinucleanse squeeze bottle where you literally squirt warm water and salt up one nostril and lean over so it drains out the other.
It's FABULOUS. I'm finally getting better (AT LAST!!! Eleven days for a cold, doesn't that seem sort of long?!?!) but I can't stop using it!!! I just want my sinuses to be totally clear. At all times. So. That's that.
2. Daisy June is off the bottle. I know it's not as dramatic as those women who breastfeed, but it's dramatic for me. I will never again hold one of my children close and watch her eyes drift shut while she nurses on a little plastic nipple. And the worst part is, I don't even know when it ended. I just realized one night in the hotel that we'd been putting her down without a bottle, and a few days later I threw them all out. And a few days after THAT, I remembered that she's my LAST baby and I'm supposed to savor these precious moments. THEN I got internet and watched Law and Order for six hours. Win some, lose some.
3. I haven't decided yet about Hawaii. I don't hate it, but I don't LOVE it like I thought I would. It's just sort of so-so. It's a city, so it's dirty, and crowded. It's allegedly a tropical island, but other than when I'm at my house (on another island, IN the island, which weirds me out) I never see the water. We saw two beaches when Nick was here, but they were hard to get to. When I'm driving around, I never think to myself "Hey Self, you're on a tropical island!" The palm trees are few and far between. The people are fast and...in a hurry. Things are expensive. There's no openings in any preschool on this side of the island for Scott.
Now, do what you want, but I don't exactly need comments about how 'you just have to go to so and so and then you'll feel like it's a tropical island' or 'the beaches at xyz are fantastic.' I KNOW these things. I know that if I travel to the North Shore, I'll see all the gorgeous scenes from Lost. I know that in Kaneohe, there's fantastic beaches. But I live HERE. In Honolulu. On an island with a LOT of industrial crapola going on. And a brig across the street. Literally. I can see guys in jail playing basketball AS I TYPE THIS.
I naturally have HUGE amounts of well placed buyer's remorse (renter's remorse?) about taking this house. We should have went to Kaneohe or Kailua.
And as far as the fact that now we're able to go to Target and the Gap and all that jazz? It's nice. But I got used to ordering everything online in Guam so it wasn't that bad. And with Scott and Warren not in preschool, it's not like I can really go to the mall anyway.
4. In a surprising turn of events, I miss Guam. I ache for Tender Shepherd, and Gab Gab. That's it, but that's enough. I feel empty inside whenever I think of either one. I am not being dramatic. I really do ache.
5. I saw Mission Impossible. It was fantastic. I am not ready to lift the I Hate Tom Cruise stance, but we might be getting closer. He played his role very low key (well, as low key as you can get while also scaling tall buildings with magnet gloves and all that) and did a lot of stepping back to let the other cast members (JEREMY RENNER!!! JEREMY RENNER!!) shine. I was very impressed. Makes me want to watch Rain Man.
6. Have ya'll been keeping up with PW's All Time Best Movie thingie she's got going on? It might break your heart. I swear to God, if Titanic wins, I might stop following her. I mean, I know it's not her fault, but I don't want to follow the same woman that people who think Titanic is the Best Movie of All Time follow. Those people are yucky and I don't want to be like them. I can't remember what Rain Man lost out to, but I bet it was equally as unjust. People are such morons.
7. Does anyone have any tips for changing the sheets on bunk beds? We bunked the boys' beds (because this house is so fucking small that we LITERALLY can't keep them unbunked) and it took me about nine and a half hours to change the top sheet today. It was not fun.
8. After the bombardment of semi-negative things I said about Hawaii, it warms my heart to know that when I go to the commissary tomorrow, they'll have the stuff I need. And multiple choices of each thing. I almost cried the first time I went. Okay, you got me. I did cry. Tears of joy.
9. Another plus? The chapel is apparently pretty big and active. I'm starting a Bible study (hopefully) Wednesday morning and they have childcare!!! There's a novel idea (sike!! you like that Holly?)!! I will NEVER understand why churches do Bible studies without child care. Have I mentioned that people are morons? Anyway, from what I can tell, I'll be able to do a Priscilla Shrirer study. I feel bad cheating on Beth Moore, but A) It's not my fault if there's not a Beth Moore offered and B) Priscilla Shrier is the next best thing. AND Beth Moore like endorses her or something. Anyway. Hopefully I can make a few friends and get out of this funk.
10. Nick might be here sometime in the next few weeks. I usually have at least a vague idea of when he's coming, but this time, nada. I don't know if it's that it's up in the air, or if it's that I wasn't listening when we talked about it, or if it's that I just can't remember. Here's hoping he can get a ride from the pier to the house in case I never figure it out.
11. I have nine hundred and seventy five pictures to get off my camera.
12. Milk here is seven dollars a gallon.
13. I NEED a preschool for Scott. It's not a want. It's a NEED. Ava can explain the difference if you're foggy.
14. I also NEED my van and my crockpot and my roomba.
15. But mostly, I NEED a preschool for Scott.